The Fort McMurray Airport Authority was incorporated under the provincial Regional Airports Authorities Act in 2009. The first board was formed in 2010 and acquired Fort McMurray Airport from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. Under Alberta legislation, the Airport Authority is legally and financially independent, and operates as a non-share capital organization.
The Airport Authority is governed by a board of nine directors with a board chair. Directors are appointed through:
• Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
• Fort McMurray Chamber of Commerce
• Oil Sands Community Alliance
• Canadian Union of Public Employees (Local 1505)
• Fort McMurray Airport Authority
Daily operations are handled by a management team led by a President and CEO.